free web hosting | free hosting | Business Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting
Official Records



Colonel Colton Greene
Third Missouri Cavalry (Confederate), commanding brigade


Page 303 Chapter XXXIV

Numbers 19. Report of Colonel Colton Greene, Third Missouri Cavalry (Confederate), commanding brigade.


In the Field, near Pineville, Ark., May 15, 1863.

MAJOR: I would respectfully submit the following report of the part taken by my command in the late expedition into Missouri:
In compliance with your orders, I marched from Jackson, Ark., on April 17; crossed Eleven Points [River] on the same day; crossed Current River on the 19th instant [ultimo,] and reported to Colonel [George W.] Carter, commanding Texas brigade.

I resumed the march, after a halt of two hours, in rear of Carter's brigade, which position in column I occupied on the 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd instant [ultimo], arriving at Patterson some hours after its captured on the 21st, moving on toward Greenville, crossing Saint Francis River at that place, crossing Mingo Swamp and River near its month, an reaching Bloomfield at midnight on the 22nd instant [ultimo], to learn that the enemy had retreated northward two days before.
After a halt of two hours, I again took up the line of march, reaching the main brigade od White Water River on the 23rd, which was picketed by the enemy and captured by Colonel Carter's advance.

On the 24th instant [ultimo], I was informed that we were in presence of the enemy in force, commanded by Brigadier-General [John] McNeil, and was ordered to the front, taking a circuitous route until I struck the main road 4 miles from Cape Girardeau. Here I was ordered to halt and went into position, remaining in line during the night.

One the morning of the 25th, heavy firing being heard on the left, I was ordered by Brigadier-General Marmaduke to throw forward Colonel [M. L.] Young's battalion, and follow with the command to the support of the left. Colonel Young formed twenty minutes before my arrival, and had 1 man wounded while in long range of the enemy. Arriving on the Jackson road, 2 or 3 miles from Cape Girardeau, I was ordered into line, and covered Colonel [Joseph O.] Shelby's retiring column. After changing position several times, I was ordered into position 2 miles to the rear, which I left half an hour afterward to take up the line of march to Jackson.

About 4 o'clock of the following morning I was ordered to mount and proceed back to the bridge on White Water, and hold it. This was effected by 11 o'clock, and I occupied the position until the rear guard came up, when I resumed the march, reaching Bloomfield in the evening of the 27th instant [ultimo].

Page 304

On the 28th instant [ultimo], I took position across the Cape Girardeau and Kitchen's Mill road; lay on my arms all night, and was ordered to fall back early next morning 20 miles. Arriving to the rear of Four Mile, I was ordered to dismount my men, to swim the horses across the Saint Francis River, and to go into line. At 2 o'clock at night I was ordered to cross the Saint Francis i rear of the whole column, which was accomplished without loss. Arriving on the south side of the river, the campaign may be said to have ended.
It is impossible to state at this time exact number of my men who fell into the enemy's hands. Some were cut, off but are daily reporting. Not exceeding 5 have been reported captured.
I cannot avoid mentioning the good order and endurance of my command during these arduous marches. No case of cowardly straggling came under my observation, and the rigor of discipline and hardships of the field were alike borne with uncomplaining fortitude.

I am, major, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Colonel, Commanding Brigade.

Major HENRY EWING, Assistant Adjutant-General.

Official Records Main Page
Civil War Traveler
Built by ZyWeb, the best online web page builder. Click for a free trial.